FOOD PROCESSING & SERVICE
Food and environmental safety has always been of the utmost concern to food service processors, providers and consumers, but given this current climate, concerns are at an all time high. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends that sanitizers and disinfectants that meet the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2 are available and used to clean and disinfect food contact surfaces and counters, common use areas, high-touch areas and equipment in an effort to protect employees, and customers. It is vital to establish a disinfection routine and train staff on the proper cleaning procedures to ensure a safe and effective application of disinfectants. Escalating microbial resistance to chemical biocides used in processing plants and a growing demand for higher volumes of products for a burgeoning world population have dramatically impacted manufacturers and their quality assurance strategies.
The use of BIO Electro-Chemically Activated (ECA) generated Hypochlorous acid (HOCI) offers food producers a safe, cost effective alternative to current cleaning and sanitation products. HOCI is a productivity and profitability enhancing quality assurance tool for the optimization of food processing plants.
The food processing industry constantly strives to reduce contamination from bacteria, spores, viruses, fungi, yeast and mold. HOCI can be used for the following applications:
- Treatment and elimination of biofilm contamination in the processing plant.
- Elimination of microbial contamination in fresh foods by including HOCI in the food preparation.
- CIP of process plant and equipment, including pots, tanks, centrifuges, pumps, piping, filters, filler heads, pasteurizers and general surfaces.
- Continuous decontamination of production water to eliminate the introduction of microorganisms into the process through poor quality water.
- HOCI is safe to use as a final pre-process rinse.
- Improved CIP of the food-processing environment.
- Chemical free decontamination and sanitation procedures.
- HOCI eliminates all known bacteria, fungi, yeasts, viruses, molds and spores.
- Costs associated with product returns are reduced.
- Assured microbial and biofilm control in process plants reduces down-stream contamination of product.
- Enhanced microbial and biofilm control provides confidence in offering Quality Assured Products and in conforming to HACCP requirements.
- HOCI is approved for use in food processing by the US and European Regulatory Authorities.
- Introducing HOCI to the processing techniques will not disrupt the current processing protocols.
- Spoilage by microbial contamination of products is reduced.
- Shelf life of products is increased due to reduced microbial contamination.